A Squirrel’s Misstep, a Lost Day at the Courthouse

Morristown, July 20, 2011--A fire broke out in the Morris County Courthuse Wednesday morning causing the evacuation of all personnel. (Photo courtesy of the Daily Record and BOB KARP/STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER / Staff Photo)

Backup battery fire leads to building closure

by Abbott Koloff and Matt Manochio Daily Record Staff Writers

The Morris County Courthouse was closed early Wednesday morning after a backup battery caught fire during a power outage caused by a squirrel.

Morristown Acting Fire Chief Jon Prachthauser said firefighters responded to an 8:58 a.m. report of smoke coming from a third-floor courtroom, and that employees already had been evacuated from the historic building, which was filling with smoke.

Jersey Central Power and Light spokesman Ron Morano said a downed wire caused by a squirrel being electrocuted led to a power outage at 6:30 a.m. for 500 customers, including the courthouse and Morris County administration building. He added that the equipment that caused the smoke at the courthouse had nothing to do with JCP&L.

Read more from the Daily Record.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s